Thursday, November 25, 2010

What are you thankful for?

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope today is a special day filled with good food, family, and fellowship. Chris and I slept in, made breakfast together and are chilling out until we head over to the Fuller's for Thanksgiving dinner.

Today is not only special for the traditions and family, but also for the memories of last year. My husband and I got married the day after Thanksgiving last year. We spent the day working on favors for the reception, planning seating charts, inviting last minute guests, finalizing details, working on decorations, and last but not least making Thanksgiving dinner. This year has flown by, and we are back to the same holiday but as completely different people. I am thankful for the great memories, for my family, for my husband, and for this time of year to focus and celebrate the things for which we are grateful.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I want to tell you about last night. My twin sister Nicole and I planned a Mexican Fiesta for the family. We made Azteca Soup, Pico de Gallo with Chips, Chicken and Beef Fajitas with Homemade Corn Tortillas, Refried Beans, and Flan. We had the whole family together which only happens a few times a year, along with my aunt and cousins. I must say that of any food, Mexican is my comfort food. We feasted on vibrant and colorful food full of fresh limes, spicy jalapenos, creamy avocados,  crunchy chips, filling corn tortillas made by hand, salsa ground up in my recently acquired mortar and pestle. grilled meat, and so much more. I was blessed to be a part of such a wonderful family gathering focused around the food and people I love so much.

After dinner we gathered in the family room to give out goodie bags with some things Nicole brought back from Mexico. Then we danced the Cha cha slide and the macarena, and tried to translate a Telenovela (spanish soap opera) :).

It truly was a magical day and one that I will remember for years to come.

We are now headed to spend Thanksgiving with Chris' family and I look forward to some more great food, spending time with my new family and making many more memories.

I love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.