Monday, January 6, 2014

Detox Day 1

Hey guys! We are nearing the end of the first day of our detox! Sadly, I have very few pictures to post of what we actually ate today. It was my first day back at school and I overslept by 30 minutes and I only had time to heat up some soup and put it in a cup and throw my packed lunch into my backpack on the way out the door.

Thankfully, I had done a bunch of prep work yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and everything else was packed and ready to go for lunch and breakfast for Chris as well. I will show you all the pictures I took yesterday while cooking.


I combined two of my breakfast ideas and made an onion, sweet potato, and kale blend to reheat and put in an omelet.


First I harvested another batch of greens from my garden. With a low of 8 degrees tonight, I didn't know if they would survive. So yesterday I harvested everything I could. 


Just like before, I de-ribbed the greens, and chopped everything and put them in bags. The ribs were chopped and bagged separately and make a great substitute for celery!


Now they are ready to go for soups, omelets, etc... 


For the breakfast veggie blend I chopped up 2 sweet potatoes (I didn't use the third one), and 1 onion and stewed it in a covered dutch oven on low with a little oil. Once the potatoes were soft I added some greens and let that cook down and added salt and pepper. 


I was sad I didn't get to eat this for breakfast! Chris was still able to make an omelet this morning and he said it was good. He ate it with an orange. 


I found a big slug on the greens after I brought them in from the garden. I set my stirring spoon on the edge of the compost bowl while I kept chopping greens and when I went to pick up the spoon the slug had crawled on it. I almost screamed! haha They are fast little buggers! 



For lunch I made a pan of roasted veggies. This batch had sweet potato, eggplant, carrot, onion and parsley and spices. We weren't thrilled with this. I baked it for over an hour and a half at 350 degrees but the carrots and onions were still kind of crunchy. I will probably use what we have left to put in soup or something like that. I am sure it will be great once everything softens up a bit more. 

As far as tomorrow's lunch, thankfully I made a second pan of veggies very similarly, except I added greens beans and used rosemary instead of parsley. The veggies in this pan were cooked a little better so I think we will like this more. 



I also made a big pot of brown rice and used some to make a brown rice salad with soy sauce, sesame oil, cilantro, frozen green peas, and chopped chicken. Chris and I both really liked this. 

We also packed a small container of unsweetened shredded coconut and peanuts as a snack. 



For dinner we had chili (from freezer cooking) with a slice of goat cheese. 

For dessert I mixed together melted coconut oil, peanut butter, cinnamon and shredded coconut into a sludge and we ate it with a spoon :).

I felt a little 'blah' today from oversleeping, rushing to school and starting my period :(. But I know tomorrow will be better and I really enjoyed all the food I ate. 

Chris said he also enjoyed all the food (besides the undercooked veggies at lunch). Though, he said he did get hungry between meals. So, tomorrow I am planning on adding more chicken to his lunch, and adding in a small bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon/salt/coconut oil to go with the orange and omelet for breakfast. Hopefully the extra protein and carbs with his meals will help. I am really proud that he is even willing to do this with me and I want to give him all the support I can :). 

 I am also thankful that I have someone to snuggle with tonight :). We don't have central heat in our house, so we use space heaters and gas logs to heat whatever part of the house we are in. This is generally the living room. Chris just went into our bedroom to turn on our electric blanket and we have ice on the inside of our bedroom window... eek! We will have to let the blankets warm up for AWHILE tonight before we get in bed. haha

Thanks for reading, have a great night and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.