Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal No Bakes (Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free)

Today has been another stressful day. I have been trying to apply for college to start classes spring semester.  My case is a little special because I was home-schooled and I also qualify as a non-traditional student; meaning it has been five years since I graduated high school and I don't have to submit SAT scores. I emailed the admissions office almost a month ago and asked them if I had to submit SAT scores because I was home-schooled and they said no. So I haven't been worried about it. I have submitted everything else and today I found out that I do indeed need to submit them because I was home-schooled. It is too late to take the test again to be able to still be accepted for the spring semester. So I called the SAT place and they will send my old scores, but they are in the archives and it will take them 2-4 weeks to find them and send them out. I don't know what to do, but I am going to be really disappointed if I can't start classes because of it. Any suggestions anyone?



In better news. I made some really great cookies today. You know I told you about those pumpkin cookies that I made last week. I wanted to make some adjustments and after my second attempt I think they are pretty darned good, and cute too :). I actually ran out of pumpkin, and I have been using acorn squash to experiment with. I don't know if that has made any difference. I will try again with pumpkin when I get some more and test that out.

The first time I tried to make them I put in cocoa powder to attempt a healthier chocolate no bake. I guess I didn't put enough sugar or other flavorings because it kind of just tasted like chocolate flavored acorn squash. I was okay with that, but I am pretty sure the majority of people wouldn't like it. This time I changed it up and made it a spiced cookie and let the flavor of the acorn squash, or pumpkin as the case may be, shine through. I liked them better after I had let them chill for a little while. Next time when I make them with pumpkin I might try adding some ginger. I bet that would be great! Feel free to play around with the spices and flavors to customize it to your taste!

Pumpkin Oatmeal No Bakes (gluten free, sugar free, dairy free)
Makes 16 Tablespoon size cookies

2 T coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup pumpkin or acorn squash puree
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup gluten free oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Place oil, honey, puree, and spices into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until mixture is hot. It will be really thick. Add in coconut and oats and mix well. Scoop out Tablespoon size cookies onto a piece of parchment paper. Place in fridge or freezer to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.