Saturday, October 16, 2010

The perfect gluten free tortilla

We have this ongoing debate at our house about tortillas. I like corn tortillas and Chris likes flour tortillas. I have made them both from scratch before, and Chris doesn't even like the homemade corn ones. Crazy, right? I was trying to find an alternative that is gluten free and corn free to try and compromise on our tortilla differences. 

Then I came across this incredible blog called Book of Yum that has gluten-free recipes from around the world. I love the passion that she has for other tastes and cultures, and I want to try so many of her recipes. She has a recipe for an indian roti or flat-bread made solely out of sorghum flour. Sorghum is a source of protein, calcium, and iron and naturally gluten free.

You can go and check out her blog and look up some of the great recipes at Book of Yum. To view her sorghum flat-bread tortilla recipe with detailed instructions click here


 The dough is made out of sorghum flour and water. The technique for this is similar to making a pastry dough. You start with boiling water, add half the flour stirring briskly with a whisk, then add the rest of the flour stirring in with a wooden spoon. It gets rubbery and forms a ball. This also kind of reminds me of how you make home-made playdough. 


Here my cooking setup. The dough is super easy to work with, and I just rolled each tortilla out in a plastic ziploc with the sides cut. I hear it is better to make them in a cast iron skillet, but I don't have one, and so my non-stick griddle pan worked just as well. 



They magically puff up in the middle. That's how you can tell you have a great flat-bread. 


My plate.
 I made pulled chicken, sauteed veggies, and salsa verde to go on our flatbread/tortillas with spanish rice. 
It was a great meal!


Chris' Plate.
 He ate his with sour cream. He said they still didn't taste like the store bought flour tortillas that he likes, but they were definitely preferable to corn. Hmm.. I think this compromise worked :). 


The recipe made quite a few tortillas so I ate a couple for breakfast the next day with natural peanut butter and cherry jelly. Then for dinner that same day I took two and spread them with the red pepper hummus I made the other day along with the leftover sauteed veggies from our fajitas. After toasting, the flat-bread was crunchy and the hummus completely worked with the pepper and onions. It was a delicious moment where an impromptu dinner decision resulted in a culinary masterpiece. I know that there will definitely be more hummus pizzas in my future and my mind is spinning with the infinite possibilities. Thank you Book of Yum for this amazing recipe that I know I will be making again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.