Wednesday, October 13, 2010

'Healthified' Chips and Dip

Do you ever have 'blah' days? I definitely do, and when I feel 'blah' I want to eat all the junk I can get my hands on. Yes, I am confessing to being an emotional overeater. Then I feel gross from eating too much which makes everything else worse and it is just not a good thing. I try not to keep much around the house that could be a temptation. But in desperate times my husband's Reese's Peanut Butter Ice Cream might get eaten because I just don't care. I am getting better at this, but it still happens sometimes, and today stinks. Thankfully I had planned on making crackers and boy did those crackers save me from that darned peanut butter ice cream in the freezer. 


I found this recipe for Whole Grain Cracker Bread from Kim at Affairs of Living. It calls for cooked quinoa, buckwheat flour, salt, sesame seeds, olive oil, and water. Lo and behold, I had leftover cooked quinoa in the fridge, and only had to sub in sorghum flour for the buckwheat and poppy seeds for the sesame. 


These crackers are so simple, they are gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, and you can find the recipe here.


To go with my cracker bread I made Roasted Red Pepper Hummus also from Kim's blog. Normally you need tahini (sesame seed paste) to make a true hummus and I didn't have any. I found this recipe that called for chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), roasted red pepper, garlic, capers, olive oil, and lemon juice. What intrigued me most were the capers. I used to work at a bagel shop where we sold a sandwich called the Bagel and Lox. It was a bagel with cream cheese, capers, red onions, tomatoes, and smoked salmon. Once I tried it, it became my favorite sandwich, and I developed a fondness for capers. I happened to have a jar of capers in the fridge, and I thought they added a nice briny flavor to the hummus which I really enjoyed.

 


 It was simple, satisfying, and kept me from eating a bunch of stuff I would have regretted. Yay for healthy snacks :).

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I have a blah days too! Hummus is sooo yummy and seeing these pics make me want to eat some right now! Those crackers look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.