Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Detox Day 9 and 10

Hey everyone! If you are new here, check our my first post where I talked about the guidelines of our detox. We are doing well and enjoying our food. I could have done a much better job with exercising. But, a person can only do so much. I am trying to extend myself some grace when I am tired and not try to push past my limits. You know, life is about balance; which is something I continually need to define and work towards.

Now we only have four days left and then I will make Chris all the chocolate chip cookies he wants. While he eats cookies, I will eat some dark chocolate covered pretzel thins (that I bought in a moment of weakness on the clearance rack at the store). They have sat untouched for the last 2 weeks in our cabinet and I can't wait to eat a few.


Yesterday for breakfast I made oatmeal, an egg sunny side up and an orange. We also drank tea (on left) and oat straw infusion (right).

Lunch is not pictured because I forgot my lunch at home yesterday. I was very sad. Thankfully I had some almonds in my car that I ate at work. Chris still had the carrot ginger brown rice salad and carrots for lunch. 

Since we have been eating so much chili (Chris' favorite food). I decided to make my favorite food last night for dinner. CURRY! I defrosted a jar of red curry sauce that I made during freezer cooking last summer. Then I cut up 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 bunch of broccoli, and 3 cups of greens and cooked everything in the curry sauce. We served it over short grain sushi rice. Mmmhhh. I could eat that all day. It is my favorite meal!


Then I made prune oatmeal cookies for dessert. 



 Today I had every intention of waking up early and working out. But... it didn't happen. I need to figure out my new routine for this semester at school. It is just too easy to stay in bed and press snooze :). Breakfast was still delicious!


We ate another potato/kale/onion omelet with salsa on top, and an orange. 


I also made chai spice tea with roasted dandelion root instead of black tea. I am hoping this picture gives you a good idea of how much of each thing I put in the pot. I am so bad at measuring ingredients when I am cooking. Maybe that should be my new year's resolution. 


I put the roasted dandelion root, fresh ginger, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan with water and simmered for 45 minutes while I worked on breakfast, lunch and laundry. 


I strained out the tea and added coconut milk, and drank it on my way to school. It was very spicy. Just how I like it. I love how it warms me up :). I kept all the spices in the pan and just added more water to make another pot of tea tonight. Most of the time I can get 3 uses out of one batch of spices. 


I was selfish and took all the leftover curry for lunch. Chris had more of the chicken carrot ginger brown rice salad that I made on Sunday. I did pack a small container of leftover curry vegetables as a side to go with his lunch. So I wasn't completely selfish :). I even found an empty study room with a table to eat my lunch today. I felt blessed. 


I could eat this everyday. 


I had peanuts and coconut for a snack. I wanted to tell you that I get my coconut from Tropical Traditions. They have great prices on 2.2 lb bags of coconut flakes or shreds. Last time I bought a few bags when they had a deal for free shipping. Their coconut tastes and smells amazing!  


For dinner I made baked salmon, steamed green beans and wilted greens with goat cheese. 


We enjoyed the prune cookies so much yesterday that I went crazy and made 4 cookies each for dessert. Of course this doesn't compare to Chris' beloved chocolate chip cookies. But, they were good enough that he tried to steal mine. I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures :). 

No Sugar Added Prune Cookies
2/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tablespoon Coconut oil, solid
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
5 prunes
Coconut milk (or any other non-dairy milk)

I put all of the ingredients except for the milk into a food processor and let it blend until the coconut oil and prunes were incorporated and in small pieces. Then I added a splash of milk and let it blend until coming together as a dough. If needed you can add more milk until it comes together. 
Spoon onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 12 minutes. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.