Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tomato and Wild Rice Bisque (Dairy Free, Gluten Free)

I know I have been off the radar for a little while and I do have a good excuse. I was without power last week, and had to get a new power cord for my computer. I have also been without a camera for two weeks. I can be thoughtless and true to form, I left it at my parents house the last time we were there. My Mom graciously offered to send it to me through the mail, because she is cool like that. I told her not to worry, and we will just get it next time we are in town. I will be so glad to get it back when we go on Saturday. Because I haven't been taking pictures of my food I feel like I can't post recipes about it. But, as I don't get my camera until Saturday, and I have a great soup recipe to share with you, you will just have to imagine what the soup looks like. Or, even better yet, make it and find out for yourself.

I had some veggies to use up in the crisper, and I wanted something warm. Hmmm... I thought about it and immediately decided to make soup. I love soup. I enjoy curries, chowders, chili, stews, soups, bisques and whatever other kinds of soups out there that I am missing. I love that they are extremely versatile. The best part for me, is the way it warms you up on a cold day.

A day like today.

I feel like I am going to be making a lot of soup in the coming weeks, as I will have a great need for warmth. You see, I have made a deal with myself to see how long I can last before I turn the heat on in our house. We are trying to save as much as we can on our electricity bill, and I am optimistic about my fortitude. Chris calls me a wimp and doesn't think I will make it very long before I give up. But try I must, and today is the start of what will be a long few weeks as I brave the cold. :) Bring on the soup and scarves.

Now, about this soup. It is has some wonderful veggies like zucchini, tomatoes, onions, carrots, and collard greens. I sauteed them for a bit and then I blended them for a thick creamy soup. Adding some leftover wild rice gave it substance and a great texture.

I was very pleased with the end product. The spices are subtle, and the freshness of all the wonderful vegetables really shines through. It has a rich color, with flecks of green from the collards. It is simple, flavorful, warming, filling, and definitely a soup I will make again.


Tomato and Wild Rice Bisque


2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lg. carrot, diced
2 small zucchini, sliced
3 med. tomatoes, chopped
2 packed cups of collards greens or kale

2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

2 cups leftover wild rice, brown rice, quinoa

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Toss in onions, garlic, carrots and let soften for a few minutes. Then add zucchini and tomatoes let it cook for another few minutes. Add chicken broth, collard greens, and spices.

Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 min.

Pour contents in a blender and blend to your liking. You can pulse it a few times to keep it a little chunky, or blend for a minute or two to make it more creamy. I like mine creamy. Pour it back into pan and add wild rice. Serve immediately or you can make this in advance and keep it on low until you are ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.