Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Garlic Potato Salad (no mayo, gluten free, dairy free)

This came to be quite accidentally, and I thought it was super tasty! So I thought I would share the recipe with you.
I know Chris has been wanting potato salad lately and I had a plan to make it for dinner last night. I am not a big fan of mayo and so my thought was to substitute it with plain yogurt. However, when I was at the store the other day, it had to get cut because I was didn't want to go over budget. I have recently been taking a calculator to the store to help me stick to my budget and it has helped SOO much! Alas, I did not bring any yogurt and I refused to use mayonnaise. I wanted it to have a good flavor because I was going to mix in some sweet potatoes and I don't really like sweet potatoes. Consider this one of many recent attempts to get myself to like them. Yes, I realize that they are super good for me and a lot better than potatoes, but I can't seem to get past that they are sweet and mushy. Hmmm..


So I used some olive oil, garlic, and some dried herbs. I heated it in the pan until the garlic got a bit crispy, I let it cool and then added some dijon mustard. It was flavorful and rich and even made the sweet potatoes taste REALLY good! I mean, what doesn't taste good when it is smothered in two of my favorite things: mustard and garlic. YUM!



I served our garlic potato salad with Oven Roasted Okra and Pulled Barbeque Chicken from Amy at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. It was a great meal and one I will definitely make again soon.
Consider these guidelines as you make this recipe. Taste as you go and feel free to add or take away anything you like. haha I realize not everyone loves garlic as much as I do :).

Garlic Potato Salad

2 Medium white potatoes, diced
2 Medium Sweet potatoes, diced

1/4 cup olive
2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp rosemary

3 T dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place diced potatoes in pot, cover with water, and boil until fork tender. Drain water and set aside to cool.

In a small saucepan over medium high heat add olive oil, minced garlic, and herbs and cook until garlic starts to get aromatic and a little crispy.

Take off heat and pour over the potatoes. Add mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.

Mix it all together and serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.