Friday, September 10, 2010

7-Layer Mexican Dip (Gluten free, dairy free, vegan)

I like sauces. I like dressings. I like condiments. I like dips. Anything that I can scoop into, dip out of, spoon from, or be squeezed out is a friend of mine. 

I was looking for a way to use up some black beans I had cooked up last week. Given my love of anything dip related, this recipe practically jumped out at me. It was a recipe for mexican layer dip from my Clean Food Cookbook. The 'sour cream' was made out of tofu and it was completely gluten and dairy free. I thought I would give it a try and put in my own few twists.



The recipe called for 16 oz of bean dip. What I had were unseasoned black beans. I would give you the recipe for how I made my bean dip but I am not sure the exact amounts. I know I started with two cups of black beans, 1/2 diced onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp pepper, 1 chili in adobo sauce. I blended and tasted. It was bland but spicy. Eck. So I added 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp. salt. I tasted it again and realized I put in WAY too much salt. (This is where I stopped measuring) I proceeded to add some prepared salsa, avocado, tomato, more beans, and olive oil until it tasted right. It turned out really great, but you could probably find an easier and less experimental way to make your bean dip. Or you can just buy some canned refried beans. Those will work just as well. :)


We ate it for dinner last night with tortilla chips. I told Chris we had to eat it right out of the dish because it is more fun that way. The bonus being we didn't have to do any dishes!

It seems like a lot of ingredients, and admittedly it takes a bit of time to dice and chop and blend everything together. I would say, working by myself, it took about 45 minutes. But with a buddy you can cut that time in half. I believe it is truly flavorful dish and definitely worth the effort. I can't wait to make this as an appetizer for a party. I think people will be amazed at what is not in it, and how good it tastes :).

7-Layer Mexican Dip:
Adapted from Clean Food by Terri Walters

3 cups bean dip

Tofu Sour Cream:
14 oz. firm tofu
1 Tbls olive oil
2 Tbls lemon juice
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 Tbls. + 1 tsp taco seasoning

1 4oz can chipped green chiles

2 Avacados
1 clove garlic minced
2 Tbls. lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne (optional)
Dash of cumin (optional)

1 medium tomato diced
1 ear of corn 'decobbed' or 1 cup frozen or canned corn
4 green onions sliced

Spread bean dip out in a 8x11 dish. Place tofu, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and taco seasoning in blender and blend until creamy. Spread over beans. Open can of green chiles and spread over sour cream.

Scoop out avocados into a separate bowl and mash with a fork. Add garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin. Spread over green chiles.

Sprinkle diced tomato, corn, and green onions on top.

Serve immediately or place in refrigerate for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.