Monday, September 13, 2010

Planning for Productivity

I had every intention to post a new recipe today. I baked up a storm this afternoon and I have a picture of the mess here to prove it. Yes, I am a messy cook. I know it is better to clean as you go, but I figure if everything is out and dirty anyway, might as well see how far you can go before you have to wash or put something away :). Perhaps a somewhat flawed, but for me, very effective philosophy. However, I only cook like that when I am by myself. haha Oddly enough, I am usually the one keeping things neat and clean when I am cooking with others. Go figure.


I made banana coconut chocolate chip cookies (or rather the dough as I haven't baked them yet).


Apple Crisp


Buckwheat Apple Date Coffee Cake topped with Coconut and Pumpkin seeds

Unfortunately, though they were all good, they were not post-worthy. The apple crisp was a great concept, but turned out too crumbly and the apples a bit rubbery. I do look forward to eating it the rest of the week for breakfast though :).  
As for the coffee cake, I need to make some alterations on that as well. I only used buckwheat flour and the flavor was a bit too earthy for my taste. I think adding carrots as well as using only half buckwheat and half oat flour would make it superb. I will have to try that soon! 

Since I have no recipe, I want to share something else that has been percolating lately. Currently I am a stay at home wife :). We moved here in August and I plan to start college classes full-time in January. I have kept from applying to find part-time work in hopes of being able to accomplish more at home. I spent the first several weeks working on the house, unpacking, and organizing. I have most of that done now, and don't want to waste the blessing of having so much time at home. I want to take advantage of this time and learn and grow as much as I can personally before things get crazy and busy again. 

I don't know about you, but the problem that I have is wanting to do too much. I felt pulled in so many directions and couldn't focus on anything long enough to get anywhere. My brain was constantly going a 100 miles an hour, I had a hard time sleeping, and I was exhausted! So, with Chris' help, I came up with a plan to write down everything I wanted to accomplish before January next year. I have them categorized by relationships, money, home improvement, self-improvement, and green living. Each of those has sub-categories where I wrote specific goals. For example I have concrete things like switch to natural house cleaning products, use re-usable containers and towels instead of ziplocs and paper towels, start a worm compost system, adhere to a stricter budget, learn to crochet, and learn how to effectively use coupons. Some of them are more like habits I want to cultivate such as practicing yoga, scripture memorization, read more classic literature and being a better listener. 


Then, I made a schedule to write out what I will do each week. Today was my first day on the schedule and I quite like it. I am curious to see how well I follow it. For now this is an experiment to ascertain what motivates me and the best way to plan. I am not looking to be too strict, I just needed to provide for myself from structure to be more productive and help make my abstract goals a bit more tangible. I will check back and let you know if this endeavor succeeds in helping me get more done. 

How do you organize your day? What motivates you to get things done? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.