Monday, September 5, 2011

Seaweed as a Condiment

Happy Labor Day everyone! I have had a great weekend so far and I am excited to spend some time with hubby today and get caught up on some homework. Lazy days at home at the best!

I got some laver seaweed the other week, which is an edible seaweed that has high levels of iodine and iron. It is paper thin, and has a little crunch when you bite into it, but then easily dissolves in your mouth. It has a wonderful savory, sea-salty taste that makes it a great condiment. If you have tried sushi, which is wrapped in a similar type of seaweed called nori, I think you know what I am talking about. I have been finding different ways to incorporate it into some asian inspired meals. 


For lunch as school last week, I brought some brown rice mixed with rice vinegar, thinly sliced cucumber and carrot, and torn laver on top. 


For dinner two nights ago, I made a Quinoa Stir-Fry with carrots, peas, chicken, fresh garlic and ginger, and sesame oil. I scooped it up with my chopsticks and some torn laver. 


Here is a close-up of my chopstick skills :). 
Confession: 
When I finished the seaweed and still had more stir-fry left, I couldn't get the rest up with my chopsticks, so I switched to a fork.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.