Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Project Wedding Cake Step 1: Frosting

This week I get to pretend to be a pastry chef. I will be making a wedding cake and groom's cake for my friends who are getting married on Saturday. The first will be four tiered vanilla cake with buttercream icing and black filigree piping. The second will be a strawberry cake with chocolate cream cheese icing and decorated like an iphone. 

It has been in the works for months and I have tried to plan as much as possible. On the agenda for today is to make 11 batches of frosting, 3 batches of fondant, color the fondant, and finish prepping the cake boards. For the boards I took each size cake pan and traced it onto a piece of cardboard. Then I cut it out with an exacto knife. For each cake I will have three layers of cardboard that I will tape together and cover in a decorative foil for the base.

I don't know about you, but if I am about to start a big project I want everything to be set up and prepped so I can work efficiently. I have been prepping for about two hours now trying to get everything together and in place. I straightened up the house and finished the laundry. I want the house to be in order before I start. Because, there is an off chance that I will still working on frosting when Chris gets home from work. 


I set out all my ingredients including 20 lbs. of powdered sugar, 4 lbs. of butter, 3 lbs. of marshmallows, and 2 lbs. of cream cheese. I gave myself props for all the math I had to do to come up with the amounts for what you see on the counter. Let's hope I did it right :).


 We brought in the table from the office and now I have a handy work surface, so I only have to clean up powdered sugar from the table and floor and not from the appliances and walls.


I set up my computer and speakers so I can jam out to christmas music and Adventures in Odyssey. 


I even set up a little bed with Bowdon's blankets by the heater so he has somewhere comfortable to lay down since we'll be in the kitchen all day. I think he likes to be with me whenever I am in the kitchen because he has this notion that I will inevitably drop food. No matter how careful I am, I always end up reinforcing that idea. Go figure. 

I will be posting over the next few days as I work on this project, so stay tuned :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.