Friday, December 3, 2010

Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger: Hearty Lentil Soup

Here is another recipe from Jenn at  The Whole Kitchen. I said in my last post that I adopted her for the Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger challenge. Sea at the Book of Yum has kept this going each month and it is a great way to meet other bloggers and try new recipes. 

I would strongly recommend checking out Jenn's blog. She creates amazing recipes, and I hope to one day be able to create the depth and richness of flavor that she does in her food. Even after this challenge is over I plan to try many more recipes from her site!

We already know that her Thai Red Curry Pumpkin Soup is amazing. Last night, I decided to try her Hearty Lentil Soup. We have a lot of lentils to use up. My parents generously gave Chris and I a 20 lb. box of lentils a few weeks ago. Yes, I just checked on the box to make sure. It is definitely 20 lbs. My goal is to make a lentil dish once a week. Yet, even for someone who doesn't have that many just lying around your house, it is a very inexpensive dinner option with lots of possibilities and variety. 

I was looking through Jenn's recipes trying to decide which ones to make, Chris looked over and suggested we try the lentil soup. I am willing to try any new lentil recipe, and the best part was that Chris suggested it! 


 I thought this soup was great. My only change was omitting the turkey thigh. I am sure it would have added even more flavor, but I didn't have it, and wasn't about to go to the store to get one. It still turned out great. If any of you know any lentil haters I promise this soup will make them a convert. It starts off with your basic sauteed carrot, onion, celery, and garlic. After that you add your lentils, chicken broth, water, bay leaves, and tomato sauce. But then, she throws a twist in by bringing in white wine, red wine vinegar, thyme, and sriracha sauce. You would never put all of that together, but it works so well.

I wasn't very hungry and only got half a bowl. But when I tasted it, and finished my first serving, I went back and get another bowl. It is was that good. It has got a little kick with the sriracha, but I liked it even better when I added an extra spoonful of my homemade cayenne hot sauce.


It made a bunch and I am excited to freeze some for another week and still have plenty for lunches in the next few days. Thank you Jenn for another great recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.