Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Freezer Cooking 2013: Finished!

The freezers are full and I am done! I did the grocery shopping on Wednesday last week and finally finished today (Tuesday). I thought it was a good idea to spread out the cooking with having work/church/etc. But I have to admit that I got really sick of being in the kitchen. I am glad this ordeal is over. Though it was totally worth it, and I know we will enjoy the results in the busy nights that are coming. 

Here are the pictures! 


Chili is Chris' favorite food, so I made sure to make plenty of it!


I got 7 bags each with 8 cups of chili. 


I cooked the rice with chicken broth. For the beans I cooked them with beef broth, sliced jalapenos, garlic and onions. I kept some of the beans by themselves, and the rest I added to a bowl with fresh corn, mushrooms, onions and peppers as filling for enchiladas or quesadillas. 


It is hard to make a picture of beans to look good. haha Though it did taste really good and will make some delicious enchiladas!


I bought two organic chickens from Costco, so I cooked the second chicken, and chopped the meat from both chickens to freeze.


I got 6 -1 cup- bags of chopped chicken total. This will be good for putting in stir-frys or making chicken salad for lunches. 


Bags of enchilada filling with chicken added. 



7 bags with 3 cups of rice in each. 


Having a full freezer is a problem when you need to get something from the bottom :). I took the opportunity and reorganized after this. 


Not wanting anything from my 2 chickens go to waste, for lunch on Sunday I cooked up the chicken hearts and chicken livers and served them with steamed veggies and fried okra. Chris was a champ and finished his before me. I struggled with the texture of the liver. But now I can say I have tried it :).


Last night I made enchilada sauce. I started with a bowl full of dried peppers. 


I took of the tops and shook out the seeds. 


Then I blistered the peppers in a skillet. 


I poured boiling water over them and let them soak for an hour. 


Then I blended up the soaked chilies with chicken broth tomato sauce and spices. 


Unfortunately it turned out more spicy than I would have liked. But I couldn't keep adding tomato sauce because I ran out of jars to put it in. haha I am hoping freezing it will mellow the spiciness a bit. 

I also had some leftover chicken broth and I didn't have any jars left, so I cooked it down and froze it in an ice cube tray for bullion cubes. 



Finally, a clean kitchen!




Well there you have it folks. It feels good to be done :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.