Friday, August 5, 2011

Garden Update - 8/05/2011


So, I told you that I would post a picture of my first tomato two days ago. But... I ate it before I got a picture. It was a very good :).


Here are my okra plants. We have been harvesting an average of 3-4 pods a day. Once we collect enough for a meal, we enjoy it roasted with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.


I planted 2 bell pepper, and 4 jalapeno pepper plants. They have not grown much, and most of the flower blossoms withered. I am averaging about one small pepper per plant so far. They will probably be the spiciest jalapenos ever. I kept them in pots too long, and I also over watered them when they were in the pots. I definitely learned a lot about how to do peppers better next year. 


Here is my itty bitty little bell pepper. It is about the size of a quarter. I kept waiting for it to grow bigger, but the last week it has turned red. So, I guess it is ready to pick. What should I make with a quarter sized bell pepper?


My cherry tomatoes are doing very well. I have harvested about 2 pounds so far. The skin is a little tough but the flavor is very good. 


My brandywine tomato plants have definitely outgrown their cages. We keep having to stake them up and tie them together because they just want to fall over. I have harvested two so far and a lot more are ripening. It is very exciting!


They are huge. A lot of them are as big as my hand!


Finally, my herbs are doing very well. The Thai basil in the back has just taken off. It is so good in asian stir-fries. The one in front is a mint cutting that I transplanted. I am very excited it took root. Now I can make mint iced tea. Yum! I picked a bunch of basil yesterday and the plant looks a little scrawny so I didn't take a picture of it. But the basil tastes amazing! 

Hope you enjoyed the tour of my garden :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.