Thursday, November 11, 2010

People and Places of Mexico

For those of you that haven't heard, I had the privilege of flying to Guadalajara, Mexico for ten days to visit my sister. I just got back on Monday. It was such an incredible trip, I don't know if I can fit it all into one post. So, I will write about where we went and what we did in this post. Tomorrow I will write about all the wonderful food we ate :). You can't go to Mexico without eating some fabulous food!

My twin sister is a missionary and has been living in Guadalajara for about 4 years now. She is working with YWAM and has a passion for reaching communities through relationship and discipleship. I went down to visit her as well has help her with a missions conference she was putting together. In YWAM (which stands for Youth With A Mission) they have campuses all around the world. They live in community with the other missionaries in dorms and houses, with community kitchens, offices, etc...  It is a wonderful organization that has trained countless young people and provides many opportunities to  get involved in missions. If you have any questions or are interested in missions please message me. I would love to talk to you!


This is the view from my sister Nicole's dorm room. Breathtaking.


During the three day conference I volunteered at the coffee shop they have on campus. I got to brush up on my Spanish, and I surprisingly was able to speak pretty good on a conversational level. It has been so long I thought I forgot everything. 


During my time there we also went to visit several of the communities where Nicole has been serving. I am so proud of my sister. Coming in as a stranger it was incredible to see how close she has gotten to these families, how much she loves them and how much they love her. It was a powerful reminder that God's love through us can truly change our community. I came back with a desire to live intentionally in my own community in my own circle of influence. To love as God has loved me.


This is in another community she took me to. A little boy with his goat.


Can you imagine this being your front yard? These people don't have many possessions, but they are richly blessed with the beauty of God's creation. I think I would be content living in a place like that.


On Sunday, the last day I was there, Nicole took me to her church. She teaches Sunday School every week. I was amazed at how attentive they were. They all seem to really love Nicole and I was again reminded of how much love can a difference in someone's life. They were responding to the attention and care Nicole has given them for the last year and it made them want to listen to what she had to say.

John 13:35
Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.
(NLT)

I learned a lot during my time there. It was wonderful to be able to reconnect with Nicole and experience a little of what her life is like. It was a great trip and tomorrow get ready to see some tasty eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.