Sunday, June 6, 2010

Yummy yummy summer rolls!



Let me tell you about a discovery I made a couple months ago. Vietnamese Summer Rolls. They are similar in concept to spring rolls except you don't fry it and the wrappers are made out of rice and tapioca. There are a lot of things you could use as a filling, typically rice vermicelli noodles, fresh herbs, and vegetables. You can put chicken, shrimp, pork, or whatever meat you want but I generally keep mine vegetarian. Since I first tried these I have eaten them at least once a week. It is another food that is extremely flexible and generally I just throw in there what I have in the fridge. I have used any combination of spring mix, spinach, bean sprouts, sliced carrots and cucumbers, avocado, sushi rice, rice noodles, etc. I have never met a spring roll I didn't like.

I haven't been able to find the wrappers at the grocery stores around me. I finally found them at an asian grocery store so hopefully you will be able to find them easier. But they are definitely worth looking for. I think I paid $2.50 for a package of at least 20 and they lasted for many meals of summer rolls.

It is hard to know how to write a recipe for this because I make them different every time. I will tell you what I put in the ones I ate yesterday.

Summer Rolls
3 Rice Paper Wrappers
1 de-cobbed corn on the cob
1/4 avacado
1/2 cup broccoli thinly sliced
1 medium carrot thinly sliced

Dipping Sauce
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp chili paste
1/2 tbl. coconut aminos or soy sauce

Fill a shallow pan with warm water. Take one wrapper and soak in water for 20 seconds and it will be very flimsy. Spread it flat on a plate and place 1/3 of each filling in the center. Try not to put too much because they will be very difficult to roll as the wrapper is quite fragile and tears easily. fold over sides, then roll it up like a burrito. Once you get the hang of it they are super fun to make and even more fun to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.