Friday, August 2, 2013

Homemade Sloppy Joes (no ketchup!)

Normally my husband does not have a lot of input when it comes to menu planning. He is not picky and will eat most everything that I make. Because of that, when he does ask for something specific I do my best to make it happen. It just so happens that he recently asked for sloppy joes, so I made it for dinner the next day. Fortunately, I had everything I needed in the pantry so I didn't even have to go to the store! 



Dinner consisted of sloppy joes on homemade sourdough english muffins, sautéed zucchini, and green beans topped with nutritional yeast. It was a great meal that both of us really enjoyed!




Homemade Sloppy Joes

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
1 tsp dried garlic powder (or about 3 cloves fresh garlic)
14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 T tomato paste
2 T brown sugar (I have also used honey)
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Cook ground beef and set aside. Heat olive oil in pan and add chopped onion and jalapeño and sauté until tender. Add in ground beef and remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes until sauce has thickened. If sauce is too thick you can add water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.