Wednesday, July 18, 2012

White bean cake. With options.

Blueberry White Bean Coffee Cake

I would like to present to you my all time favorite way to eat beans. White Bean Vanilla Cake. Several months ago I found this recipe on The Spunky Coconut blog, and since my discovery I have made it at least a dozen times. It utilizes white beans, lots of eggs, coconut flour, honey, coconut oil, and the essentials like salt, vanilla, baking soda, etc. This cake is delicious for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in-between. From someone who chronically forgets to pack snacks, my solution is to eat a huge breakfast that will tide me over until lunch or whenever I get home from work. Eating just one piece of this cake for breakfast will keep me feeling satisfied for hours. Of course it also tastes great between lunch and dinner, or after dinner for dessert. 

Being the recipe rebel that I am, I always do something different each time I make it. Like the cake pictured above. I made the normal recipe but added 2 cups blueberries, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a streusel topping of unsweetened coconut, oats, coconut oil and honey. 


One time I made Zucchini Bean Cake. 


I used one less egg, added two cups of shredded zucchini, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and added 1/2 cup of oats to soak up the extra liquid from the veggies. 


Delicious!


Other variations that I have made that are not pictured are Sweet Potato Bean Cake with one less egg, 1/2 cup sweet potato, spices, and 1/4 cup extra of oat flour. Banana Bean Cake with 2 mashed up bananas and  of course cinnamon and other spices. I have made it with only coconut flour, with a blend of coconut flour and oat flour, with brown rice flour only, oat flour only, and one time with a blend of sorghum and corn flour. I have also used butter and olive oil in place of the coconut oil when I ran out. I have also experimented with different types of sweeteners. I have topped it with an avocado fudge frosting, chocolate tofu frosting, and of course streusel toppings. Future flavors I would like to try are chocolate and coconut for a sweeter dessert cake, cornmeal and fresh corn instead of coconut flour to make it like cornbread, and pumpkin. 

I hope this has inspired you to try something new. With a basic recipe, the options for adaptations and experimentation are endless! I have enjoyed every variation and I look forward to making many more recipes of this white bean cake in the future. 

Now for the big question. How do you feel about beans in your desserts?


1 comment:

  1. OMG This looks SO good! I will be trying this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.