Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July and Blueberry Pancakes

Don't we look so patriotic. Dad is in the background waving the flag.

The day before the 4th of July we spent with my husbands family. I always have a wonderful time hanging out with them. One of the highlights of my day was going to the neighbors yard to pick blueberries. We picked two big bowls and they generously gave them all to me. I couldn't help myself and ate half of them yesterday. But today I knew I wanted to put them to good use in pancakes.

I have been experimenting with a 'blender-style' GF, sugar-free, and dairy free pancake recipe. The concept is to take whole grains like rice and millet and blend them with water and some type of acid let them soak overnight. I found the original recipe here. I have loved the recipe from the beginning but I like to experiment and see what I can do to make it different.

An awesome find at Kroger today. I have been wanting to try it and found it marked down to $.99.
Jackpot!
The taste did not disappoint either.

The first time I used brown rice and millet and it was a bit too dense and grainy for my husband's taste. I tried using brown rice and amaranth next which turned out good. This time I used a combination of brown rice and gluten free oats. I feel the smoothness of the oats paired nicely with the grittiness of the brown rice and also added a little air to the pancake. We both agreed that this was the best one yet and I am excited to eat the leftovers for breakfast. Also, putting the blueberries in definitely took it over the top. I would say this ranks up there as some of the best pancake I have ever eaten!
One pancake is topped with goat cheese. The other with coconut raspberry yogurt. Talk about some incredible flavor profiles. But don't take my word for it. Try it out for yourself! Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Blueberry Pancakes
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Cup GF Oats
1 1/2 cups water
2 Tbls apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 Tbls Coconut Oil

Place all 5 items in blender and blend for 3 minutes. Let sit 12-24 hours.

Then add:
1 egg
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you really like cinnamon like me)
Honey or other type of sweetener to taste if you want to add a little sweetness*

Blend everything together for 1 minute.

Heat up griddle. Oil the pan and spoon out your pancakes. While the first side is cooking sprinkle as many blueberries as you want into the wet batter. Once they start bubbling flip and let cook until golden brown. Then dig in.

This recipe made 18 medium sized pancakes.

*If you are adding any kind of sweetener just be careful as it changes the consistency. If it is too thick add some water, if it is too thin add some rice or oat flour. Making this recipe a bit thicker is great for waffles. Try that too :).


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.