Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bleat goes the goat



At least that is what Wikipedia says about what goats sound like.
So I have recently found a new food love. I was at Sam's the other day looking through their vast array of cheeses and found goat milk cheese. I have never had it before and I am trying to stay away from cow milk so I thought I would give it a try. I brought it home and tasted a little bite and I was in heaven. I made this discovery last Monday and I think I may have eaten it with at least two of my meals every day since then. Yesterday I ate it all three meals; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have eaten it with eggs, falafels, roasted vegetables, salads, and even with a spinach chicken dog (which was another amazingly tasty discovery I made at Sam's). Tomorrow I am going to put it in a quiche and I am super excited.

So around 7:30 tonight when I was contemplating what to eat for dinner guess what first popped into my mind? Something that I could put goat cheese on. I also have a bunch of spring mix in the fridge that I need to use up. So far I have cheese and greens... that's a good start. I thought about it and decided to make a pear and goat cheese salad.

As a side-note I think that one of the most challenging parts about this will be the photography. I know that you can't have a successful food blog without photos of all the food you post about. I currently don't have a camera but my husband does. So tonight after I finished making my salad I spend 15 minutes trying to get a decent picture. I have never been good at taking pictures and so you will have to be patient as I learn how to photograph food. After taking about 20 pictures I think the two I ended up with are pretty good. Next time I will take pictures of cooking as well as the finished plate. I also have to get quicker so the food isn't cold by the time I actually eat it :). Lucky for me I was eating salad tonight so it didn't matter.

Anyway, I sliced up half a pear with some spring mix, thinly sliced red onions, toasted walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was super tasty and I only wish I would have made it bigger :). That's okay, I can make it again for lunch tomorrow.


For dessert I ate some chocolate pudding I made yesterday. I have been learning about arrowroot and purchased some yesterday morning that I wanted to try out. It is a powder that can be used as a thickener and can be substituted for cornstarch. So I made the pudding out of cocoa powder, arrowroot, coconut milk, and agave. I stirred everything together in a saucepan and brought it to a boil. Once is cooled the consistency was like... hmmm... you know the containers of glop you can get that when you lift it up and push it down it sounds like a fart. That's what it was like. haha But it tasted really good and chocolatey. I garnished it with frozen berries and unsweetened coconut. Yummy, yummy :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a blogger and not using blogspot please feel free to leave your blog URL as your nickname or in the body of your comment.